frequently asked questions
How often are on-site inspections done?
This will vary depending on the size and needs of each complex. Generally, monthly inspections are scheduled. When specific maintenance projects are under way, progress inspections are done throughout the duration of the project.
Does the Property Manager meet with contractors and supervise their on-site work?
Yes, all quotes are carefully reviewed and once the contract has been assigned, the quality of work is monitored.
How are Owners concerns handled?
Owners contact either the Property Manager or their Administrative Assistant, who will ensure that the appropriate action is taken.
How many meetings will the Property Manager attend?
This is one of the items negotiated in your contract with Gateway.
What is the length of time allowed for each meeting?
We schedule two hours per meeting.
Is there a charge for extra meetings or for meetings that run over-time?
Yes, our charge is $350.00 (plus tax) for an extra meeting. Regular meetings which consistently exceed the allotted 2 hours are billed at $125.00 per hour (plus tax).
Do you take the minutes, and if so, how soon can we expect them?
Yes, we take minutes. They are ready for distribution within ten working days of the meeting.
Are there additional charges for postage, faxes, photocopying and couriers?
Yes, see Disbursements on the Our Quotation page and refer to Schedule A & Schedule B in our Agency Agreement
Do we receive copies of all invoices paid?
Yes, copies accompany the monthly statements, which go to a designated Council member.
How are arrears handled?
Sections 112 -118 of the Strata Property Act of BC provide minimum requirements regarding ‘Money Owing to Strata Corporation’.We follow these requirements and work with the Strata Council to obtain resolution of the issue at hand.
Are your telephone lines answered by a Gateway employee during normal business hours?
Our office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. The telephone is answered by a Gateway employee during those hours. In addition, each Property Manager and Administrative Assistant has their own direct line and personal e-mail address.
Do you have an after-hour building emergency service?
Yes. Simply call our regular office telephone number @ 604-635-5000. You will be prompted as to the action to take from that line.
What are the duties of a Property Manager?
– Acts on behalf of the strata corporation under the guidance of the strata council.
– Prepares annual budgets and financial statements.
– Advises the strata council, but does not make decisions in regard to the strata property act, residential tenancy act and workers compensation.
– Ensures all spending is kept within budget.
– Approves and pays the strata corporations bills.
– Assists the strata council in selecting the appropriate contractors.
– Monitors contractor work and ensures the job is completed prior to payment.
– Collects strata fees and other money owed to the strata corporation.
– Contacts delinquent owners and follows up for payment.
– Prepares correspondence as directed by the strata council.
– Helps with, but does not prepare or decide on, bylaws and special resolutions.
– Ensures bylaw infractions are dealt with as directed by the strata council.
– Attends agms and sgms and strata council meetings.
– Maintains records and permits access to records for the strata corporation.
– Hires and supervises employees under the direction of the strata corporation.
– Prepares information certificates (form b) and certificate of payment (form f).
Who should we contact if we have concerns with our Property Manager?
We ask that you first communicate directly with the Property Manager. If there is no resolution, you can contact Keaton Bessey ,Director of Property Management, BC who works at our Delta Office (Phone: 604-635-5033).